Nov 7, 2019, Senator Stella Oduah representing Anambra North senatorial district together with her colleagues from Anambra state, sponsored a motion which noted with great sadness the unfortunate petrol tanker inferno that occurred on the 16th of Nov 2019 at Onitsha.
The motion further noted with great sadness the loss of Mrs Ifeoma Deborah Obi and Baby Chisimdi Obi to the inferno and the massive destruction of goods and properties within and around the Ochanja market axis.
Consequently, the senate resolved to
1. Observe a minute of silence in memory of those who lost their lives to the inferno.
2. Send a delegation to commiserate with the victims and people of Anambra state.
3. Urge the Federal government to unravel the reason why the fire service in Anambra state could not speedily respond to the emergency with a view to forestall such occurrences in the future.
4. Commend the Federal government for its promise to assist the victims and affected traders with relief materials and to work with the Anambra state government to forestall future fire incidences.
5. Urge the Federal government to include some financial support in the package to affected persons to enable them restart their businesses.
6. Urge the Nigeria Police Force to work in conjunction with the Federal Road Safety Corps to carry out a thorough investigation of the accident leading to the fuel tanker fire, with a view to prosecuting anyone found culpable in the preventable fire incident.
7. Accelerate the passage of the Petroleum Tankers Safety Bill.
Ezennia Nonso Chukwudebe.
For The Distinguished Senator, Stella Adaeze Oduah OON.